Thursday, September 5, 2013

Read every day.

"It is a moral failure that 200 million girls woke up today and didn't go to school."*

I've thought a lot about this since I scribbled it in my notebook as I watched Half the Sky last year.

Like many who live in a western culture, we are inclined to build wealth.  Whether it be spiritual, personal or material (more! Now! MORE!) we are inundated with opportunities to become richer.  If you are lucky enough to read, you are wealthier than most of the world.  Wealth lies in literacy.  If you can read, you can learn.  If every girl had the opportunity to achieve literacy,  we would see a drastic reduction in poverty, violence, forced prostitution, crime, and overpopulation.   I see it as a snowball effect..... soft, delicate little snowflakes growing stronger into a fierce white out blizzard.

On my side bar you will find a link to Amazon.  If you read every day, infrequently, or like to give books as gifts, please consider ordering through this link.  Amazon will reward me with a small percentage of the sale and I will forward proceeds to programs that advance human rights for girls worldwide.   Currently, we are focusing on the Kenya Keys scholarship program and Mei-Mei Ellerman's personal campaign to raise money for the Polaris project, a non-profit dedicated to eradicate modern day human slavery.



*Quote from John Reed, the director and founder of Room to Read.
Excerpt from Half the Sky PBS documentary.